By Winfield Townley Scott,Merle Armitage
From "a soiled hand":
Words are very strong. you are not definite of that? ponder every little thing you will not say.
- Wonderful comment in a be aware I had this week from William Carlos Williams. He mentioned the "disease" of desirous to write poetry; acknowledged he were "off" poetry for lots of months and—he said—"I believe fresh and unhappy."
- One reason behind preserving this sort of pc: you could wear checklist the retort you could not give some thought to finally night's party.
- Photographs of Henry James in his center years may be commented upon. long past is the shy aesthete of the younger portrait (by LaFarge?) . This bearded guy has a fierce glance, even a bestial one. this is perhaps-I do not know-James at his such a lot generative. back this guy disappears within the shaven, bald, ultimate James, the well-known James—the Grand Lama.
- I spotted while Lindsay (thirteen) learn aloud a passage from a looking e-book the opposite day he stated "genital" as "genteel." i would like to see a literary background titled "The Genital Tradition."
- Contrast "business ethics" and the ethics of paintings. no one writes a poem hoping it is going to put on out in 4 or 5 years.
Between 1951 and 1966 the prestigious American poet Winfield Townley Scott stored a sequence of notebooks within which he set down his innovations on poetry, literature, the literary scene, and existence regularly. almost immediately prior to his premature loss of life in 1968 he made a variety of the entries he proposal have been most sensible and gave it the name "a soiled hand." those perceptive notes, a few tart, a few mild, a few boisterous, a few wistful, provide us a outstanding perception into the workings of his artistic brain. George P. Elliott has stated of Scott: "In a truly good manner, i believe he was once as rock-bottom American a poet as now we have had considering Frost." The advent is by way of Scott's friend Merle Armitage, who additionally designed the unique version of this book.
Read or Download a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott PDF
Similar asian american literature books
The forty-six brief tales amassed during this quantity have been initially released within the coloured American journal or The trouble among 1900 and 1920. The advent to the gathering, written by way of Elizabeth Ammons, explores the function performed via the key black magazines of that interval and demonstrates how those magazines supplied the biggest secular shops for brief fiction by way of black girls on the flip of the century.
“Never pass judgement on A e-book by means of Its colour” is set a development via fight. A memoir of distinct personality, you can be carried by means of the writer ,passage after passage, via each one fight as he progresses into the guy he's at the present time. As you learn you may be drawn by way of the power of the writer to articulately attach on a number of concerns from AIDS,drug habit, Violence to like, spirituality to actual insecurities, and funds.
An electrical choice of interviews--including the 1st and the last—with one of many twentieth century's so much prolific, influential, and dazzlingly unique writers of technological know-how fictionLong ahead of Ridley Scott transformed Do Androids Dream of electrical Sheep? into Blade Runner, Philip okay. Dick was once banging away at his typewriter in relative obscurity, ostracized via the literary institution.
Reeling from the lack of Richard Hugo condo, the literary middle the place she labored, lived, and mourned her husband, McCue colours a chalk define right into a masterpiece. She cash the time period timber curtain” for a reveal of nostalgia in entrance of changeboth clear-cuts and condos. just like the Seattle skyline, poems erase and recombine right into a panorama perpetually saturated with ghosts.
- Stable poetics in transit. Huxleys "Brave new world" and Herlitschkas "Welt-Wohin"
- The Role of Huck’s and Tom‘s Practical Jokes in Mark Twain’s "Huckleberry Finn": An Approach Towards a Deeper Understanding of the Characters, their Relationships and Affiliations
- Conversations with Tim Gautreaux (Literary Conversations Series)
- The depiction of women in Sandra Cisneros novel "The House On Mango Street"
- James Baldwin, Toni Morrison, and the Rhetorics of Black Male Subjectivity
Additional resources for a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott
a dirty hand: The Literary Notebooks of Winfield Townley Scott by Winfield Townley Scott,Merle Armitage